Saturday, November 28, 2009

Training Levels, Level 1 test

Since it is the start of the holiday season there are virtually no puppy classes starting until after the holidays. This happened when I got Breeze too since I got her at the same time of the year, sooooooo, it is PUPPY HOMESCHOOLING. I am taking her to classes and making everyone say hello, and exposing her to the nice doggies I can find, and I started on one of the greatest training programs I have found on the net ......and it is FREE.

There is a yahoo group called Training Levels support http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/traininglevels/ . There is also a site with a description of the levels and the testing for each level and how to teach the behaviors at http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/%20Dog1/levels.html

The training levels use clicker training and positive reinforcement to teach everything a dog needs to have a foundation for dog sports or to just be a wonderful companion. If you pass level 3-that is generally what your dog needs to be a wonderful companion and very nice to have around. If you reach level 7 they say it only takes about a months work in your desired area to be ready for trialing, because there is a little scenting/a little agility/some obedience all built into the levels. The yahoo group can also answer questions and help support you in your quest to work with your dog ;-).

OF course I think the most important thing about training your dog is the bond you develops with them, how you get in tune with how they think, and it makes them so much more pleasant to be around and I think clicker training really trains them how to think.

So today we did the test for Level 1-Cricket is 10 weeks and gosh I can not believe how much she has learned in the short time she has been here. I do have to say that she learned crate training and some sit and come before she came, so I got a real head start, or maybe I was cheating?

6 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Cricket is doing so well! What a smart girl!

Diana said...

She is just so cute. Love the freckles. Im impressed that you can work her and your other dogs are quiet in thier crates. Diana

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I have to figure the other dogs are quiet because we are working on quiet things, actually I am a bit suprised they are doing so good..... my dogs are usually terrible if someone else is getting trained, especially if we are doing anything exciting or with a lot of movement.

Sara said...

Brains & looks! What more could you ask for? I'm in love with Cricket.

Morganne said...

I attended a Susan Ailsby seminar about two years ago. She is amazing!

Natasha said...

That is such a cool idea. I joined the group, it sounds awesome.

I love little Cricket!! (You chose one of my two favourite names! :) You're giving her a great foundation.

~Nat